Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent Day 2

The morning started with some fabulous yogurt.  I had never made yogurt with unhomogenized milk.  Even as yogurt, the cream rose to the top.  The top layer was the richest yogurt ever.  The rest will probably be much lower fat.  It I was wise, I would have stirred it all together.  Still - a lovely surprise.

Next an omelet with sauteed kale and a full cup of Keen's Beans coffee.

Off to good start.

Lunch was leftovers from dinner last night.  I failed to point out that I did have some protein with dinner.  I had purchased a pack of humanely raised chicken prior to the start of the Lent experiment.  Not local but not totally evil!

Dinner tonight is way out of my comfort zone of cooking.  I'm worried that I will depend far too much on my old stand by of stir frying all my veggies.  So I decided to make stuffed collard greens.

I'm using a basic cabbage roll recipe that calls for rice, ground beef, spices, and an egg to stuff parboiled cabbage leaves.
Instead of the rice - I've boiled some turnip roots.  I chopped up half an onion (on hand before the beginning of lent) and mixed all of the stuffing ingredients together.  I parboiled some large collard leaves. Wrapped the stuffing in the leaves and covered it in a layer of that pizza sauce I purchased at Everman's yesterday (robustopizzasauce.com).

Here's the result:  Not the most lovely looking but tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment