Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 1 Redux

Day 1 of the lenten locavore experiment finished strong.

A field trip to Everman's
Deciding I needed to expand my availability of local food products, I headed to Everman's in downtown Pensacola.  I was immediately dismayed at the lack of local products.  There were no local veggies in the grocery area at all!  I had a conversation with a nice lady who calmed me down.  She took me on a tour of the store to point out all the local products.  I'm still dismayed at the small quantity of local food items available.  But it is winter and many farmers have lower production during this time.  I was able to buy a small selection of items that were grown or produced locally.
As you can see I've hit several major food groups.

While I was there, a local farmer brought in some produce. I bought one of everything he had:  cabbage, kale, and collards.  I am growing collards in my garden but these were all very lovely.

I also settled on some Keen's Beans for coffee.  It is sourced from Costa Rica (one of my favorite countries) but is roasted here in Pensacola.  It may be a bit of a compromise but I don't think I could live without my coffee.

I included a bottle of Mardis Gras Red from Perdido Vineyards because it seemed to connect to the theme of this experiment.  In the future I intend to hit up my favorite winery for locavore beverages (Joe Moss).

Next there is a pound of ground beef from Hastings Farm in Bay Minette, AL.  I can already tell that getting a variety of protein will be hard to source locally.  Everman's doesn't carry any local meat chicken.  I produce my own eggs.  Soon I'm going to hit up some of my favorite anglers/spear hunters for fish.

One of my favorite finds was the raw milk.  Paw Paw's raw milk from McDavid, FL.  Now before anyone chastises me about raw milk, you should  know that I'm mainly using it for yogurt.  The yogurt making process requires a heating of 185 F.  This is plenty to pasturize the milk - you have to for yogurt to be sure that only your bacterial innoculant is active.  There's quite a bit of debate about raw milk.  Some say it is easier to digest, others say it is a health hazard.  You can't buy it for human consumption.  This milk was labeled for "pet food".  However, it is obviously intended for human consumption.  If you want to buy this local milk and are worried about contamination; it is easy to pasturize you own milk.  Just heat carefully (lots of stirring) to 161 F for 15 seconds (or 145 for 30 minutes).  This is a much lower temperature than industrialized pasturization and will leave proteins much less affected.

Thanks to my brother Rusty Pritchard for the gift of a Yogotherm for yogurt making.
It turned out great!

Next a jar of pizza sauce.  I know - strange.  But it is locally produced in Mary Esther, FL and should provide a lovely tomato flavor.  Not in season but I'm all for canning and preserving.  Plus its another chance to support a local business.

Finally I want to mention the honey.  This is a really local product from East Hill Honey.  I was really pleased to find something produced that near.  Its raw honey pollinated from local flowers.  The health benefits of this are enormous - plus it tastes great! I did a side by side comparison with some storebrand stuff I still had.  The local raw honey is vastly superior.

All in all a decent haul from Everman's.  Should hold be over until the Farmer's Market this weekend. (I hope).

Dinner - stir fry of cabbage, collards, and Kale with a few sweet potatoes from my garden.  Paired up with sweet red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment